Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Packing Tips from a Pro


I'm not known for being particularly anal about many things, but over the years I've learned that packing is one thing I should take seriously. After too many moments of not having the belt I needed or the slip for under a sheer dress (and thus finding myself the proud owner of at least six black leather belts and countless skin-tone silk slips, which I rushed out to purchase while traveling), I have learned to make THE LIST. 

Every possible thing I need is written down, even if I have packed the same things a thousand times. Every day I will be gone is counted, with what I think I will be doing that day. So for my coming trip to Switzerland and beyond, for example, there are days where I will be climbing in the Alps, then coming back to a posh hotel for a dressy dinner. And every item I will need is written down, even if that thing has already been counted on an earlier day. This is usually a one-page list, but since I will be gone for 20 days, it spread to two:


Of course, as I made THE LIST, I realized that I cannot possibly carry enough clothes for 20 days, so I'll have to find a way to do laundry along the way. So I didn't actually need two pages. I'll carry enough for 10 days, finding ways to do wash along the way. Note that Laundry Soap is on the list!

Now, I'm ready to pack. And every item is crossed off THE LIST, until I am completely packed. 

So this may seem a bit obsessive, but take my advice and give it a try. I rarely end up on the other side of the world and realize I have left my iPhone charger or my passport (or that pesky belt) at home. They're all on THE LIST.

Switzerland, here I come!

4 comments:

  1. I see that 'passport' is on both pages :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, the MOST important thing on the whole list!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to read "Lone Traveler" by Anne Mustoe the woman who traveled around the world in a bike. Her list included everything, even suppositories and she started it months in advance. Cleverly she carried a shift that could serve as night gown, dressy gown and swimming pool shift, among other things. I must add that she is British :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll check it out! Although, happily, suppositories are NOT on my list, ever. But that one dress for all is quite the feat. Wow!

    ReplyDelete

Comments?